Sunday, October 10, 2010

Post 5: My Analysis In the Studio

Persogenics
I'm interested in reviewing the questions again and rereading the instructions. While taking the test I could have chosen several "correct" answers depending on a given situation. It was a struggle to choose the environment that I would be applying the action.

I liked this activity as a reminder of the differing personalities and types of learners in the classroom as outlined by Howard Gardner's theory of Multiple Intelligences. Every personality should be able to and encouraged to learn in my classroom.

Observing

Side Note: I know the names of the teachers and schools that I am observing, but I choose to leave off most proper nouns as not to set off Google alerts for those associated. I'm not saying anything inappropriate, but my words are not intended for others.

The class that I observed this week was awesome. It was awe inspiring. The teacher, John, has news broadcasting and video production classes. It's a new school and he was allowed to design his own room, and it's obvious that he put a lot of thought into giving his students the most professional experience possible. John spoke of how he started with one camera and two VCRs and it was only through hard work that he now has a full news studio. It was encouraging to see a teacher closer to retirement than his first day and still full of enthusiasm. He didn't act as though he had figured it out twenty years ago and was oozing the genius onto his students.

I preferred this class to the jr. high classes I observed. The students were much more autonomous and motivated. The teachers were much different as well. The jr. high teachers I observed didn't seem to enjoy their jobs quite as much as John, nor did they take as much pride. John told stories about previous students, and openly complimented his current students and praised their hard work. 

As far as comparing teaching philosophies, I hope to adopt and better understand his. I have sent an email to Dr. C requesting to student teach in his class.

No comments:

Post a Comment